Friday, February 8, 2008

No IPOD: Am I Weird?


So I'm going to confess once and for all that I do not own an IPOD. That's right, no Shuffles, Touches, Nanos, MP3 players, or Minis, in any of the various colors, shapes, and sizes available. If you don't believe me, you can search my apartment, and even go into my closet, where you'll find no IPOD related undergarments, such as the IPOD boxer shorts or the new IPOP bra (link below).

http://www.pocket lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/2964/3988/ipod-accessories-iron-ibra gadgets.phtml

How do I play mp3s when I'm at the gym or walking outside? I don't, I actually listen to what's going on around me, which can be beneficial. For example, if a car is coming straight at me while frantically honking its horn, I will hear it and move, whereas my hip friend entranced by the beats emanating from his 15GB Nano will not. Perhaps this is modern evolution via technology. Take that Galapagos turtles.

While we're on the subject of technology, I might as well also admit that I do not own a TIVO, a video game player, anything hi-def, a blue tooth, a flat screen TV, premium movie channels, Wi-Fi, a BlackBerry, a satellite dish, a home computer, or most of the other modern marvels that people claim they can't live without. My cell phone does not flip, nor does it feature a camera with any megapixels to speak of. I do have a DVD player, but it is of such low quality that I have seen better in the shopping cart of the local homeless man whom I pass every morning at the bus stop.

I have been informed by my new blogging friends that many of you reading this admission will find my circumstances quite strange, particularly since most in the blogger community are quite savvy when it comes to the latest gadgets. While I understand your amazement, from my perspective, waiting in line for the privilege of being among the first to plop down $400 for an IPhone, or spending all day at the Apple Store salivating over the selection of products would feel equally weird.

Basically, I've gotten along okay for 30 years being firmly entrenched behind the technology curve, and I don't see myself changing any time soon. Of course, if somebody ever buys me a pair of IPOD boxers, then perhaps I'll have to make an exception.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Psshh iPods are the "mainstream" MP3 player for people who don't know better. Why buy a proprietary product when other MP3 players are half the price and offer more functionality? I recommend Creative's line of MP3 players.

Travis said...

I don't own an iPod or mp3 player. I'll admit, however, that the iPhone is very tempting for me. But I like the knowledge that I'm not the last person on the earth to be without an iPod or mp3. I too enjoy observing and listening to what is going on around me.